AVS Forum banner
10K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  alberto79 
#1 ·
Didn't see a dedicated thread for this one so I thought I would make one. Really like the set as it is a nice bright 1080p TV in 2D mode but I seem to be having problems with it in 3D mode for my PS3 via HDMI. Namely I'm getting some really glaring crosstalk in some areas. I don't seem to have any crosstalk issues in Gears of War 3 with my Xbox 360 however via VGA. I'm new to 3D TVs so maybe my expectations for a fairly low end, 23" passive 3D TV like this are too high. I read people saying they are getting almost no crosstalk in Uncharted 3 but when my screen feels like it is full of crosstalk in some areas I start to wonder what is going on.

Anyway anyone else have this TV and a PS3 able to give me some good baseline settings to use? Or at the very least able to lower my expectations on what I have here? Been playing with the setting (including the input labels) for what feels like a week now and still don't have it right.

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't have your TV, so don't know exact settings, but in case like this always check if TV and your game console is overscanning. Make sure TV is set to something like "just scan", or check in manual what setting gives you zero overscan. Also if you read this forum closely you'll find there seems to be some issue on LG sets with interlaced and checkerboard 3D formats. See if you can set your console to output side by side or top/bottom 3D format instead.

#3 ·
I don't think there is much you can do about the crosstalk. You can lower depth down to nearly nothing, if you think the crosstalk is unbearable. What is the depth settings for the gears? Is it set to max?

The only display that is crosstalk free right now, is the the HMZ-t1 or similar devices.

#4 ·
I adjusted the overscan setting to "just scan" but it didn't seem to make any difference compared with the 16:9 mode that I had it on (EDIT: For whatever reason when I enable 3D mode on the PS3 it reverts this to 16:9). I'm maxing out Gears of War 3's 3D slider and getting very small amounts of crosstalk in very select areas. Uncharted 3/Resistance 3/Killzone 3 is getting crosstalk practically everywhere from really bright areas to really dark areas to even the crosshairs and I'm only running them at 50-60% of their 3D depth sliders. I don't know if it just the color pallets present or what but something is different between the systems/inputs/games in all instances I believe it is Side by Side 3D.

#6 ·
That didn't have any effect. Just made things extremely nauseating unfortunately. If it helps for whatever reason text is synced up fine but when I adjust the viewpoint to compensate for say the crosshairs the text then has crosstalk.

Edit: A couple things I'm noticing are that with Gears of War 3 through the VGA cable the TV info states that it is running at 1920x1080 @60hz while in 3D. With the PS3 in any 3D title it states that it is backed off to 1280x720 @ 60hz. Also it seems like Gears of War 3 supports 1080p natively while the PS3 titles top out at 720p or 1080i. Could either be having an effect on why my PS3 titles are displaying so much worse than Gears of War 3?

#7 ·
It could be that since 720p has to be scaled up to 1080p, it may not be aligned properly for 3D. Also I tested it on my LG TV (different model) and when playing movies from cable, I can assure you 16:9 on my set is ovescanned. The only time there is no overscan when watching a movie is "just scan". Now, this works differently when and only if I name the HDMI port as a PC or Game port. Once I do that I believe "16:9" mode doesn't overscan anymore, but again not sure what happens when the source is 720p. So, if your TV is anything like mine, did you name HDMI port to which playstation is attached "PC" or "game"? Overscan will make things not line up properly for 3D and can create all kinds of problems and if the port is not named PC, at least my TV will overscan in 16:9 mode.

#8 ·
I switched it over to PC mode from game mode and things are a little better in regards to crosstalk though the colors are rather washed out now. Running the available settings while in PC mode at Contrast 70%, Brightness 50%, Maximum energy saver on the Backlight, Sharpness 50%, Color Temperature Medium, Gamma Low, Black level Low. Dropped the 3D depth down to 20-40% depth on the PS3 games which made things a better though a bit disappointing that the slider had to be dropped down that low.

#10 ·
If I turn the glasses 45 degrees counter-clockwise then the ghosting is almost gone.

So I did some search and found this:

http://pubpages.unh.edu/~wfc/Photo/G...342/index.html

On the box with the glasses it says: FPG-200F. The supplied glasses were not actually sealed, they have a white frame, with "LG Cinema 3D" written on them, so no way to confirm the actual model.

Looks like DM2350 as well as D2342 require different glasses for best 3D. The supplied passive glasses that came with my purchase do not work all that well. I did not realize that there is more to circular polarization than just the direction of rotation.

#13 ·
You are welcome. I think I also see the increased ghosting in the lower right corner, even with the glasses turned 45 degrees.

I did some more research and found this document, that has a very good explanation of 3D glasses technology: http://www.drt3d.com/W05-Polarization.pdf

On page 13 it states: "From our model for circular polarization, it appears that the linear polarization is the first step for creating the circularly polarized light and it should not have any effect. In practice, it is found that ghosting is slightly increased if not using the "Optimum" glasses. Most people will not notice it and a lot of people are using the "free" Real-D glasses with Zalman and Acer screens and are happy!"

In my case the supplied LG glasses do not appear to be optimal (btw, does the description I gave earlier for them - a white frame with "LG cinema 3d" printed - matches to what other people received with their TV?). I have experimented with RealD glasses as well, and they have exact same effect -

when turned 45 degrees they work much better)

Apart from the ghosting issue I am unhappy to report that I see the vertical lines on areas with motion, and they ruin 3D effect. Also I see the abrupt brightness changes that lag the scene changes (again only in 3D mode) - both of these were already reported by other people.

Two more issues: on scene changes sometimes I can see squares - my guess is the image processing engine is not fast enough. Also, comparing the appearence of scrolling credits on "How to train your dragon", it seems that in 3D the horizontal resolution is much lower than in 2D (mind you - I am not describing the loss of vertical resolution here).

I bought this TV on December BestBuy sale. It was manufactured in Mexico. It has 1 HDMI and 1 DVI input, though BestBuy's description was stating (that page is now gone) it had 2 HDMI inputs. DVI port does not support framepacked 3D and seems to be video-only (no audio).

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by speresh /forum/post/21451961

You are welcome. I think I also see the increased ghosting in the lower right corner, even with the glasses turned 45 degrees.

I did some more research and found this document, that has a very good explanation of 3D glasses technology: http://www.drt3d.com/W05-Polarization.pdf

On page 13 it states: "From our model for circular polarization, it appears that the linear polarization is the first step for creating the circularly polarized light and it should not have any effect. In practice, it is found that ghosting is slightly increased if not using the "Optimum" glasses. Most people will not notice it and a lot of people are using the "free" Real-D glasses with Zalman and Acer screens and are happy!"

In my case the supplied LG glasses do not appear to be optimal (btw, does the description I gave earlier for them - a white frame with "LG cinema 3d" printed - matches to what other people received with their TV?). I have experimented with RealD glasses as well, and they have exact same effect -

when turned 45 degrees they work much better)

Apart from the ghosting issue I am unhappy to report that I see the vertical lines on areas with motion, and they ruin 3D effect. Also I see the abrupt brightness changes that lag the scene changes (again only in 3D mode) - both of these were already reported by other people.

Two more issues: on scene changes sometimes I can see squares - my guess is the image processing engine is not fast enough. Also, comparing the appearence of scrolling credits on "How to train your dragon", it seems that in 3D the horizontal resolution is much lower than in 2D (mind you - I am not describing the loss of vertical resolution here).

I bought this TV on December BestBuy sale. It was manufactured in Mexico. It has 1 HDMI and 1 DVI input, though BestBuy's description was stating (that page is now gone) it had 2 HDMI inputs. DVI port does not support framepacked 3D and seems to be video-only (no audio).

Doesn't really matter since DVI doesn't allow for audio anyway. You could always use the audio in port on the back or the Toslink port for audio.

Btw, did anyone get to try any movies or games that feature that 'pop out' (convergence?) effect? I tried playing Tumble on the PlayStation 3, but I didn't see the effect as I did with the active display.

#16 ·
If the glasses that came with your monitor have "Cinema" printed on them, make a warranty claim to LG to get new glasses. The "Cinema" glasses are for LG's 3D TVs. The glasses I received with my monitor are also FPG-200F, but they have "Monitor" printed on them and have no purple ghosting. It looks like LG put the wrong glasses in some of the FPG-200F boxes.

FYI, here is a thread from another forum about the same issue: http://www.ddd.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1518

#18 ·
I actually have the LG D2342P monitor, but many folks are reporting the same crosstalk problem with that model that you are seeing. Rotating the glasses 45 degrees to the left eliminates the crosstalk.

I don't have a picture, but the box of glasses I received with my monitor is labelled "3D Monitor Glasses" and is model FPG-200F. The part number on the box is AAA74116501. The glasses have "3D Monitor" printed on the temple. The clip-ons have "Monitor" printed on the bridge. Both have black frames. These glasses do not have the crosstalk problem. I also tried a pair of RealD glasses and do see the crosstalk problem.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by In_Awe01 /forum/post/21474034

I actually have the LG D2342P monitor, but many folks are reporting the same crosstalk problem with that model that you are seeing. Rotating the glasses 45 degrees to the left eliminates the crosstalk.

I don't have a picture, but the box of glasses I received with my monitor is labelled "3D Monitor Glasses" and is model FPG-200F. The part number on the box is AAA74116501. The glasses have "3D Monitor" printed on the temple. The clip-ons have "Monitor" printed on the bridge. Both have black frames. These glasses do not have the crosstalk problem. I also tried a pair of RealD glasses and do see the crosstalk problem.

I ordered the Zalamn glasses to see if I would notice a difference. I'm sure it will remove the purple color, but I doubt it will further reduce crosstalk. I noticed tilting the glasses at an angle removes the purple color too, but it seems to just make the second image appear transparent.

#20 ·
Hi new to the forum but had to post here as i have just got off the phone to LG about the same issue of purple ghosting. They say they have absolutely no knowledge of the 'wrong glasses' issue and their technicians are refusing to accept its the glasses at fault. I told them about the difference between monitor glasses and cinema glasses and they told me this is a cinema 3d product and so should have the glasses I have been supplied. They did however recommended me to purchase a pair of the other glasses and to try and get my money back if it turns out they work better than the ones supplied. The ones I have are the FPG-200F P/NO: EBX61588301.

I asked the lady i spoke to to escalate the problem but she said this problem had 'never been brought up before' so they would not issue a recall or indeed do anything other than leave a note of the problem.

I recommend anyone who is experiencing purple ghosting to contact LG and make them aware of it immediately. Try tilting your head by 45degrees to the left first though to ensure this does indeed reduce the purple ghosting and then confirm to them if it does that the glasses you have been supplied are wrong.

I can't believe that they deny any knowledge of two different types of passive glasses??

I have also contacted LG's spares department and the glasses they are supplying as extras for the DM2350D is different to ones I own (P/NO EBX61528101). Does anyone else have this particular Product number and if so are they working correctly if so I may just buy them.

p.s. Further to that conversation LG apparently say that I can't use Final destination 5 as an example of the purple effect "as it is not compatible with this particular set".....strange because it works for me (apart from the hideous purple ghosting of course)

#22 ·
Further to my last post I have received new glasses from a seller on ebay. They are a different design and are OEM. They give me exactly the same result in terms of heavy amounts of purple ghosting especially when playing Batman Arkham Asylum on PC using tridef software. When titing to the left 45degrees the effect pretty much goes

#24 ·
I've heard about the zalman but i heard they have a yellowish tint plus they cost more money than I'm willing to spend for 'extra' glasses. Instead I took a pair of Real3d cinema glasses, popped out the lenses and re-aligned them till they reduced the ghosting sufficiently. All I need to do now is to cut lenses to new shape and hey presto working glasses (take that LG)

#26 ·
HI guys and girls i have the same issue with the purple ghosting some of you have mentioned but my model is actually a cinema 3dtv DM2780D there is also exaclty the same model number DM2780D which is branded as flatron DM2780D 3D LED monitor tv. please check my twitter page about the issue twitter.com/LeeGoodbody

Also email me if u want more information i have videos and performed many tests which i have sent to LG. Am in talks with lg and dealing with the top people in the company

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.