AVS Forum banner
3M views 26K replies 2K participants last post by  moose35 
#1 ·
KEF owner here. I'm surprised there isn't an "official" thread for us yet.

My system:

Harman Kardon AVR-435

iQ7's up front

2QC on center duty

Q5's bringing up the rear

PSW 2150

Rounding out the gear is my Denon DVM-715 dvd changer(soon to be a Toshiba HD player), and RCA 56 inch HDTV, all connected with Monster Ultra Series speaker wire, interconnects, and banana plugs(sue me, the stuff was on clearance lol).

I'll try to have pics up within a week.

Thomas

See less See more
#4 ·
I forgot to mention that I have the KEF 1005 system that I plan on using in the bedroom once I get around to putting the rest of the system together. For the size and price I paid, they're amazing little speakers.

The iQ's have been awesome. I've owned a lot of speakers from brands like: Athena, Polk, Infinity, Energy, and countless others. They were all great speakers, but there's just something about the KEFs that I absolutely love. I don't know what it is... They just sound right to me.

#5 ·
Here's my system,

KEF Q1 at the front

KEF Reference 100 at the centre

KEF Q9s for the surrounds

With the Marantz receiver for now.

The system serves me well for both HT and Music. I have restrictions in the placement of the fronts, and the front-ported Q1 are great for keeping them closer to the back-wall. The Q9s being the closed-box are mounted on the wall.

Ritesh

#9 ·
They are great but if you are able to I would try and go with the iQ5s or iQ7s. I know this is hard to believe but I did have Paradigm Reference 100v.2 in my personal theater(my partner owns a store that sell Paradigms) when I took on KEF I still keep my Paradigms at my house. After hearing the KEF for I while I brought the iQ9s home and I kid you not the iQ9s sounded better the the Paradigms.

I now use the KEF Reference in my personal theater but in MY opinion KEF is ONE of the best bang for your buck.

#10 ·
After looking at things a bit more, I'm honestly stuck between the iQ3s and iQ5s right now. There's also some other speakers out there I really want to demo (Polks, Boston Acoustics) before I really decided. It's really just a matter of whether I want to go with floorstanding or not. This is in a bedroom mind you, but that's just for the next few months. They may end up being moved into a living room when I move.

#11 ·
Nice thread - thanks for starting it up.

I have Reference 201s as my main speakers (it's a small room). Using them with an Arcam AVR200. You have to love the "British sound".

I'm planning on adding a center channel but the Reference series models are too big and expensive for me (even the 202c).

Any thoughts on mixing and matching other center channels with the Reference 201? Ideally I'd like to find something slim that would fit underneath a flat screen and that would match the beautiful cherry finish on my 201s (otherwise just matte black).

I'm considering:

* iQ series center channel

* KHT series (but they are very shiny)

* Older/discontinued models?

* Other manufacturers? (e.g., Canton)

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Ritesh, where did you find your Model 100? How does it match with the Q1s?

Thanks!!!

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by clrv /forum/post/0

kronkite, what % do you use your system for(HT, multichannel Music, 2-Channel Music).

That is going to big a big part on mixing although I don't recommend it but sometimes you can get by with it.

Thanks, Clifton. I mostly listen to stereo music right now, but I'd like to get more into home theater since I'm buying a new TV. My room isn't so big, so I'm hoping for something compact.

By the way, I see from your website that you also have the 201s -- nice choice. ;^) Which subwoofer is that? How do you like it?

#14 ·
Noproblem, for 2 channel music the center is not that big of deal, but for me in HT it is one of the most important speakers.

As far as the 201s all I can say is total bliss.

The sub is a DD15. If you want the walls to raddle this is the sub for you.

I will be selling most of my demo equipment in the next few weeks so anyone interested e-mail me.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronkite /forum/post/0

Ritesh, where did you find your Model 100? How does it match with the Q1s?

I am in Australia, got it from Secher Audio . The rationalle for buying it was that most sound for HT comes out of the center and thus I thought of spending a bit more and getting this one. It was my first ever system, looking back now, I should have probably tried Q9c, the matching centre. I guess I am just lucky that the model blended-in alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronkite /forum/post/0

I have Reference 201s as my main speakers (it's a small room). Using them with an Arcam AVR200. You have to love the "British sound".

I'm planning on adding a center channel but the Reference series models are too big and expensive for me (even the 202c).

Any thoughts on mixing and matching other center channels with the Reference 201?

I'm considering:

* iQ series center channel

* KHT series (but they are very shiny)

* Older/discontinued models?

* Other manufacturers? (e.g., Canton)

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!!!

In the older discontinued models, you could try the Reference 200c (the next model up from the one that I have which is reference 100c).

I suspect it might blend in very well with your reference series speakers. The reviews seems to be good for it as well.

I wouldn't recommend, trying to match the centre with another manufacturer, or trying out the KHT series, that would be quite different to your mains.

Good luck, and let us know how you go.

cheers,

Ritesh

#16 ·
i must be the old guy in the group (but i'm only 40!!!!). i have a pair of 105.3 reference series bought off ebay ($1,000) and a pair of 104.2 reference series my dad gave to me (Circa mid 80s) but these still kick butt.

other equipment is a yamaha 2600 (Just got it), samsung sacd/dvd audio player, hughes HD Directv receiver and an infinity 360 center channel, 57" Toshiba Cinea RPTV, psb subsonic 6i sub.

pretty soon the basement home thearter will be done and this equipment (Not TV) will go into the new space along with a projector (possibly sony vpl-hs60) and a 106" carada screen.

#17 ·
My first setup:

KEF KHT2005.2

Denon AVR-3805

I've been quite happy with it. KEF made me the audiophile I am today. However, sadly I'm not as fond of some of their newer speakers.

Reactions: EdPod